Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Thrifty.



Okay, this top photo is not my home, but it's the most perfect writing space I can imagine right now, so clean, uncluttered, retro and lovely. Perhaps some of the items were even thrifted, too, which is exactly on topic, because today we're talking about just that: thrift store magic.

I love to thrift, and I know there are many kindred spirits out there who feel the same way. It's one of several go-to stress relievers I'll employ when I need to get out of the house, or when I feel the need to shop, but without the attendant shopper's guilt that sometimes follows. It holds my focus (most of the time), gives me a goal (depending on what I may need or want), and when I find something for my home or for my closet, it feels like I've discovered a secret treasure.

But thrifting is political too. Because the truth is, as a bunch of humans on this earth, most of us have more stuff than we need. There's stuff everywhere--clothes, electronics, furniture, dishes, toys, all of it. In fact, a trip to the local thrift store reminds me of exactly how much we all tend to accumulate. Now I happen to love my stuff, don't get me wrong, but in an effort to be more green and more conscious of how goods in my home are produced, I've found that buying second-hand often yields wonderful and useful items, ones that are not only less expensive, but which also come into my life with a little history and not straight out of the factory.

The thrifting gods have been good to me, and not simply in terms of sweaters and dresses, but I've furnished a good portion of my home with finds from either second-hand stores or garage sales.
And most of it I hope to hold on to for many years to come.

I've taken a few photos of my favorite finds over the years and I've included a few words about why they're special. (There are many more that didn't make an appearance for this post, but which I hope to feature soon.)

First off, this plaid chair. I found it at the Goodwill a week after I moved into my place. I love it because of its shape, its color, and its kind spirit, and I do believe a chair may possess such a thing.


This little brass elephant. I found him at the Goodwill as well, in a section of the store that housed primarily electronics, which I took to mean that he was hiding in his secret spot, waiting for me. 
He sits by the window and he's perfect.


Three special dishes, two from the thrift store, one from a local ceramics artist, all on top of a silk polka dot scarf, also thrifted, and a table, which my mom found at a thrift store, as well. I suppose I must inherit some of these tendencies. The tiny dish is from an old friend, and there's a tiny lady and her gentleman dancing together. Love.



The bottom of the table is home to most of my scarves.




Aerial view of the living room. Many of these things were thrifted too--the coffee table I made (with a little help).




Vintage Buffet. Also rescued from Goodwill and one of my favorite pieces.
Also home to the loveliest brass swan family.




A framed print of a street in San Francisco (where I spent some good years of my life), and which looks identical to Union Street or Church Street, interchangeable I suppose, but both of which are near and dear to my heart. I found it at Goodwill and it had a companion piece that I left behind, because I suppose it felt like two too many at the time. I sort of regret not buying both--but just this one makes me happy.


This mirror, found at an estate sale in San Francisco on a morning spent with two lovely friends. It's actually convex or fish-eye--not sure this is so clear in the picture.


Lamp and hairpin-leg side table. Thrifted from a local vintage shop that has since changed names to Tossed and Found. I enjoy the bright colors, and this is the first lamp I've ever really loved.


Bookshelf for some of the overflow. It was thrifted and it fits perfectly in narrow spaces. Lots of English teaching texts hang out here. It's hard to let them go, so I keep them for now.


And more to be continued, I'm sure. Also on the subject of all things thrift, I have a little Etsy shop called Loved & Lovely, where I sell mostly sweaters, dresses, shoes and boots. Please feel free to stop by, if you'd like. I'll be talking a little bit more about it this week as well.

And finally, thank you for allowing me to indulge you with a little show and tell! I do so love the old stuff and I'm ever thankful for an audience.

(top photo via middlechildcomplex.tumblr.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment