Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday Musings: Winter Wishlist

Ah, how the warm and cozy Thanksgiving holiday still lingers in my bones. It was a lovely long weekend, and I do have some sweet musings and even a few photos of the festivities too, but for now, since the temperature recently dropped about thirty degrees, and because the pursuit of warmth is our main objective this time of year in the Northwest, I've compiled a list of a few winter staples.

Behold, the cold-weather wishlist:
                                                                                     
                                                                                               
                    
1.
2.


3.
4.
5.

6.

7.


























1. cuffed sweatpants
And yes, for some reason, the cuff at the bottom is essential. I love the look of a not-too-oversized pair of lounge pants that feels soft and breathable, but which one could also wear with big, wool socks and sneakers, should one need to make a quick dash to the market for a hot chocolate fix. I'm a long-legged gal, so I prefer pants that have the option of covering all of my leg, but should I want to wear them a little higher on the ankle, I could. This wishlist is all about having options.

2. sweater tights
Because sweaters aren't just for your arms--your legs like to feel the love too! These in particular have a nice heathered look, and the ribbing makes a leg look even longer (just a fun fact I've recently discovered). I don't have a pair of these specifically, but I've found the Hue brand wears well and cuts the chill...And this particular pair is on sale!

3. boatneck sweatshirt
It's hands-down one of my favorite necklines. How can one resist a canoe-shaped neck opening on any garment? I love how the shape accents the collarbone, and in sweatshirt form? A perfect layer for curling up with a book and hanging out by the fire. (Note: this too is on the wishlist--a fireplace is not currently an option in my living quarters.) The simplicity of a sweatshirt is always satisfying, and Everlane has an approach that I applaud: Radical Transparency--what it costs to make their products, and where they come from is all revealed to the consumer. That's pretty sweet, methinks.

4. comfy clog booties
I LOVE comfort shoes, and my feet no longer tolerate anything that falls short on support or ease of wear. Unfortunately, I dislike the look of most shoes and boots, due to my affinity for no-fussiness, no embellishments, and no added buckles or distressing, which makes footwear particularly challenging to find. I love the look of Swedish clogs, but I've read in a few places that making the foot work too hard to hold itself in the shoe is no bueno, and so it's only clogs with backs for me. These boots were a recent discovery. I adore the clean lines and what I'm sure is the trusty Dansko support system inside. I haven't tried this particular clog on, but I've had a pair since college that has honored and supported my feet through the years.

5. oversized wool infinity scarf
There are many options for hand-knitted wear on Etsy, and I love both the craftsmanship and the creative community that's evolved from this website. I'm not sure there's much explanation needed here: big, warm, neck wrap--who could quarrel with that? It looks beyond cozy, and it deserves a spot on the wishlist for this very reason.

6. woolen mittens with leather palms
When I was in 7th grade, I developed a problem with the cold--and not just a petty frustration with it, but an inability to actually inhabit it comfortably. It's a circulatory issue where the blood vessels freeze up when fingers or toes are exposed to extremely cold temperatures. Blood flow becomes restricted and extremities turn white. It's weird and uncomfortable, and while it's more inconvenient than anything to worry over, I still try my darndest to keep the blood flowing. With many a cold winter under my belt, I'm happy to say that I've learned the secret to warm hands: mittens. Fingers need to be near each other to keep each other warm, and the separation in a glove is sometimes working against your own body heat. An ah-ha moment indeed! These particular mittens are fantastic because you can grip a steering wheel with more ease and they look adorable with their fuzzy, please-take-me-seriously-I-also-have-leather attitude.

7. sweet dress to pair with all the above
Winters can be incredibly cold, wet, and dark, and at times, they will leave a soul feeling less than inspired, but all the more reason to indulge in happy prints and bright colors (when you can). This is not the brightest piece, but the print makes me smile, and it looks like the kind of dress that one could wear comfortably through the cold season with a little help from a pair of cozy tights and some comfy clogs.

Scanning this list, I realize there are a few essentials that didn't quite make an appearance. Specifically, lavender/chamomile tea and a stack of wishlist must-reads on a nearby coffee table are necessary accessories. And slippers. Very, very warm slippers are also a must.

I suppose it's a short list for now, but a fairly good start--especially considering that winter hasn't officially arrived. There's still time to meditate on this one. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment