Tuesday, December 30, 2014

DIY Puppies


I have a confession: I really, really want a puppy. I realize I'm nowhere near the first to feel this way, and I know there's a very good reason there are thousands of blogs and Youtube videos devoted to capturing canine cuteness, but be that as it may, I'm adding my voice to the masses on this one. I adore pups. I'm smitten with their velvety ears, their heartbreaking little faces, their sweet puppy love, and their paws. Oh their paws!

But, because of living arrangements and my current work schedule, dog ownership is not necessarily in the cards right now. Not yet. For the last couple of years, ever since my puppy-fever really took hold, I've managed to adore dogs and puppies from afar, or if I'm lucky, I cuddle my friends' pups, which does indeed help.

And while this is not a post dedicated to the introduction of a new furry family member, it is in fact highlighting a very happy addition to the home! One of the best surprises this season did not come under the tree, but was gifted just days before Christmas when Joe came home and couldn't wait until the holiday to give me this:


That's right. It's a book that teaches you how to make your very own tiny pup! Doesn't that little face look real? I was thrown at first--the pups are so intricate and expertly crafted in the pictures--but when I leafed through the pages, I saw that in fact the author, Chie Hayano gives very detailed and often funny instructions on how to craft twelve different breeds of pups--no bigger than the size of your hand. Amazing.

The pup on the cover is a longcoat chihuahua named Milk, and he is probably the first one I'll make once I'm ready to tackle my next craft project.

For those who don't know me well, this isn't nearly as random as it may seem. I have a new and growing interest in making softies, puppets, and small creatures, in all kinds of materials. I've made a few things so far, but nothing this tiny--not yet.

I still need to fetch some essential crafting materials for these guys (little eyes, some faux fur, special thread), but until then, and before I have anything of my own to showcase, here are some adorable handmade inspiration pups from Etsy:

Miniature Bulldog by Willane









Here's to bringing puppies into the home in 2015, and to lots of crafting/diy-ing in the near future! 

Cheers! xo

(top photo via buzzfeed--thank you)

No comments:

Post a Comment