Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Holiday Cheer Sans Le Tree



I live in a relatively compact space. I wouldn't call it small, because I still spread out and live comfortably in all the ways that matter: my legs have plenty of room on the couch, I can chop my vegetables without banging elbows against a wall, there's enough space for books, extra chairs in corners, plants here and there, and all of this feels just right. 

Still, it's an apartment, and there's not a lot of room for Christmas decor. Full disclosure: I'm not sure how far down the rabbit hole of holiday sparkle and flair I'm willing to climb. 

This isn't to say that I don't admire a decorated space--I truly do! I appreciate tiny details, and even in my own space, little white fairy lights twinkle year-round, but I've never had a tree. And I don't necessarily want to make room for one, either. I'm also not sure I want an extra box in the storage space devoted to holiday cheer--not just yet, anyway. What I do want are hints of the season and, nothing against jolly St. Nick, but I'd prefer to keep Santa in the shopping malls.

So, when it comes to decorating, while I'd like to bring a little winter whimsy indoors, for me it's all about the frost that sparkles outside, it's the narrow shaft of light that pierces through the clouds right before the sun goes down at 4:00, it's the way tree branches create intricate patterns stretched out across the sky, like lace covered in ice crystals. I think the frozen, quiet stillness of the season is enchanting, and bringing little artifacts of winter indoors is a way of appreciating the warmth and comfort of home in the depth of cold and darkness.

I've been considering different ideas for my home--craft ideas, little treasures from outside, bits of pine and twine--objects to inspire reflection and gratitude. Here are a few:

Rosemary Candles

Berry Branches

Pine Cones

Candelabara

Pinecone Kissing Ball

Hanging Stars

What are some of your decorating tips? If you celebrate Christmas, would you consider doing without a tree? I'd love to hear your thoughts.


(top photo: thetotalblamblam.tumblr.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment