Saturday, November 22, 2014

Late Autumn Strolling

One of Spokane's truly beloved little spots is Manito Park--a sprawl of green grassy hills and trees, a sweet little pond for the ducks, discrete paths and plenty of space for kiddos, walkers, joggers, picnics, gatherings, solo drifting, frisbee golf, and even a little larping action (when the weather's nice).

I find myself at the park at least once a week, sometimes more than this, depending on my mood and how much I'm in need of the quiet refuge. I'm a runner, so it's perfect for this, but to really appreciate how serene this spot is, walking is my favorite mode.

Even better when I'm with my favorite walking companion.


The evenings come much earlier these days (around 4:45, it seems), so today we stole away for a late afternoon walk and followed the sun's fast fade into twilight. I love how even after the sun was gone, the park still glowed in this soft blue light.


A few lingering patches of gold and yellow to kick up along the way








The park is so still at this hour--the gloaming. My thoughts quiet down, my breath freezes and hangs in the air for a split second before it disappears, and my nose goes numb, so I pull my scarf a little higher across my face and we make it back just before night falls. So grateful for this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment